HIV and AIDS: Reportable Conditions According to the 1999 Surveillance Definition (ALL AGES)
Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), including CD4+ lymphocyte count and viral load, are reportable by name under Subtitle 18 of this title and COMAR 10.18.02.
All persons who are HIV-infected should be reported by name. Persons who are HIV-infected and exhibit any of the following AIDS-defining clinical conditions should be reported as presumptive AIDS cases. Reporting is done by physicians and clinical and infection control practitioners at certain institutions.
Reportable AIDS-Defining Clinical Conditions
- Candidiasis of bronchi, trachea or lungs
- Candidiasis, esophageal
- *Cervical cancer, invasive
- Coccidioidomycosis, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Cryptococcosis, extrapulmonary
- Cryptosporidiosis, chronic intestinal (>1 month’s duration)
- Cytomegalovirus disease (other than liver, spleen or nodes)
- Cytomegalovirus retinitis (with loss of vision)
- Encephalopathy, HIV-related
- Herpes simplex: chronic ulcer(s) (>1 month’s duration); or bronchitis, pneumonitis or esophagitis
- Histoplasmosis, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Isosporiasis, chronic intestinal (>1 month’s duration)
- Kaposi’s sarcoma
- Lymphoma, Burkitt’s (or equivalent term)
- Lymphoma, immunoblastic (or equivalent term)
- Lymphoma, primary, of brain
- Mycobacterium avium complex or M. kansasii, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis, extrapulmonary or disseminated
- *Mycobacterium tuberculosis, pulmonary
- Mycobacterium, other species or unidentified species, disseminated or extrapulmonary
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia
- *Pneumonia, recurrent in a 12-month period
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy
- Salmonella septicemia, recurrent
- Toxoplasmosis of the brain
- Wasting syndrome due to HIV
- **Lymphoid interstitial pneumonitis and/or pulmonary lymphoid hyperplasia
- **Bacterial infections, multiple or recurrent
- HIV infection and CD4+ T-lymphocyte count of <200 cells/uL in a person without one of the above listed AIDS-indicator conditions
*These conditions are only included in the adult/adolescent AIDS case definition and not in the pediatric AIDS definition.
**These conditions are only included in the pediatric AIDS case definition and not in the adult AIDS definition.
For additional information or assistance, call 410-222-7108.